A Memorandum of Understanding (MoU) signing ceremony between EdgePoint Infrastructure and Pessl Instruments GmbH was held in AC Hotel Penang, Malaysia on 14 September 2022.
To provide Penang, a state in Malaysia with the utility to precisely measure, forecast, and model city climate in real-time, and for future scenarios, creating a reliable information basis for the city planners, decision makers, and the citizens.
- EPT has been identified by PI as a potential partner for site acquisition and site management of the meteorological network rollout.
- Both parties are agreeable to embarking on a pilot rollout to evaluate the suitability of collaborating on a larger scale across multiple cities.
- Both parties have identified Penang, specifically George Town as the best strategic beneficiary of the proof of concept.
- The pilot will involve a minimum of 6 sites with input from the Penang government to align with state objectives.
- The rollout of the meteorological devices will be via a Data-as-a-Service model whereby infrastructure will be installed in a city grid format and managed by PI reducing capital risk to city and municipal authorities.
- Upon the installation of the devices and six (6) months of data collection, the consortium (PI and EPT) will present its finding and solution stack to the Penang State government.
- At that stage, the project will be reviewed either for continued concept evaluation, for expansion or for cancellation.
Details of EPT
EPT is an ASEAN-based telecommunications infrastructure company that aims to be the leading tower company and 5G ready infrastructure provider in the region, focusing on building and leasing shareable, fibre-integrated, and modern telecommunication structures as well as providing solutions such as small cells and in-building systems. Online info can be found here.