iMETOS MobiLab – Soil and
Plant Sap Analytics
MEASURE YOUR FERTILIZER REQUIREMENTS, SAVE MONEY AND PROTECT THE ENVIRONMENT.
iMETOS MobiLab is a simple and innovative soil macro-nutrients analyzer based on capillary electrophoresis, which gives you quick and precise indications on the level of NO3 and NH4. The measured data can be related to GPS coordinates via mobile app (available for Android and iOS) and can therefore support precision farming systems.
Crop macro-nutrient needs are easily satisfied with pre-drilling or post-emergence fertilization. A real adequate fertilization can not be based on empirical evaluation; plant needs are satisfied by the factual presence of chemical elements in soil.
Fertilizers themselves cost money, as well as their distribution in the field. Furthermore over-fertilization damages the environment seriously. If you want to minimize over-fertilization and still meet the actual needs of the crop you need exact data. Measuring the nutrient level in the soil is the answer! A conventional laboratory measurement gives the highest precision results, however it takes time before results are delivered and the method is expensive. Some small field test kits exist but most of them are not satisfyingly precise, are too complicated to use or give results only for some nutrients. iMETOS MobiLab is the simple answer that integrates soil nutrient analysis into a single microfluidic chip.
HOW DOES IT WORK?
iMETOS MobiLab is a mobile soil lab. It is a completely new concept which integrates soil nutrient analyses into a single microfluidic chip. After the soil samples are extracted from the field, the sample preparation is done right on the field or in the office.
The filtered sample is injected into a microfluidic capillary where a strong electric field is applied. All important nutrients are in fact electrically charged molecules, and therefore react to the electrical field. They are separated in the chip according to their chemical nature and finally measured by a detector at the end of the capillary.
This technology also works for on-site measurements in field conditions and can be operated by users without prior laboratory knowledge. The measured data is related to GPS coordinates (using a mobile app) and is sent via telecommunication to our web-cloud, where it is safely stored and accessible for the user.
The data is easily converted into machine-readable formats, allowing the automatic site-specific variable rate application with precision farm machinery (e.g. fertilizer spreaders, sprayer etc.).
Sample analysis are time and geographically referential and logged to your FieldClimate.
HOW TO USE iMETOS MobiLab?
1. Take soil sample.
2. Mix sample, remove stones and plant debris, and then sieve it.
3. Weigh 10 g of the sieved sample into a falcon tube.
4. Add 20 g (= 20 ml) of the extraction buffer.
5. Close the falcon tube and put it on the shaker for 30 minutes.
6. Insert chip into the iMETOS MobiLab.
7. Close the chip clamp by pushing the lever down.
8. Connect the iMETOS MobiLab to electricity and USB for data processing.
9. Now remove the falcon tube from the shaker and leave it to sediment for 20 min.
10. Transfer supernatant and internal standard into an Eppendorf and from there into the iMETOS MobiLab analysis slot. Push play at the program button.
|Sample volume||50-100 μl|
|Measurement range||3-1000 ppm; 0.01-0.5 g/kg|
|Resolution||0.5 ppm; 1 mg/kg|
|Accuracy||For measurements of liquid concentrations (ppm): ±3 %
For measurements of soil concentrations (mg/kg): ±15 %
|Chip lifetime||Approximately 300-500 tests|
|Battery capacity||2 hours of measuring time|
- Laboratory precision analysis for NO3
- Results availability in minutes
- GPS-geo referencing of samples
- Multiple sample analysis on a single chip
- Results are stored on web platform for future use
- Possible integration with precision farming systems
GOT A QUESTION? ASK THE EXPERT!*
iMETOS MobiLab team lead