MEASURE YOUR FERTILIZER REQUIREMENTS, SAVE MONEY AND PROTECT THE ENVIRONMENT.
iMETOS® MobiLab is a simple and innovative soil macro-nutrients analyzer based on capillary electrophoresis, which gives you quick and precise indications on the level of NO3 and NH4. Data measured can relate to GPS positioning and therefore can support precision farming systems.
Crop macro-nutrient needs are easily satisfied with pre-drilling or post-emergence fertilization. Adequate fertilization should not be based on empirical evaluation; plant needs are dependent on the presence of chemical elements in soil.
Fertilizers cost money as well as the cost of distribution in the field. The risk is to minimize over-fertilization without any needs from the crop and with the risk to damage the environment. Measuring nutrient level in the soil is the answer. A laboratory measurement gives the highest precision but takes time before results are delivered and is expensive. Some small field test kits are available but most of them are not highly precise, too complicated to use or give results only for some nutrient. iMETOS® MobiLab is the simple answer that integrates soil nutrient analysis into a single microchip.
How does it work?
iMETOS® MobiLab is a mobile soil lab. It is a completely new concept which integrates soil nutrient analyses into a single microchip. After the soil samples are extracted from the field, the sample preparation is done right on the field or in the office.
The filtered sample is injected into a lab-on-a-chip capillary where a strong electric field is applied. The dissolved nutrients are charged molecules, and therefore react to the electrical field. They are separated according to their chemical nature and finally measured by a detector at the end of the capillary.
This technology also works for on-site measurements in field conditions and can be operated by users without prior laboratory knowledge. The measured data is related to GPS coordinates and is sent via telecommunication to our web-cloud, where it is saved and can be accessed by several users.
The possibility to transfer the data to machine-readable formats is under development, allowing the automatic site-specific variable rate application with precision farm machinery (e.g. fertilizer spreaders, sprayer etc.).
Sample analysis will be geographically referential and logged to FieldClimate.
HOW TO USE iMETOS® MobiLab?
1. Take soil sample.
2. Mix sample, remove stones and plant debris, and then sieve it.
3. Weigh 10 g of the sieved sample into a falcon tube.
4. Add 20 g (= 20 ml) of the extraction buffer.
5. Close the falcon tube and put it on the shaker for 30 minutes.
6. Insert chip into the iMETOS® MobiLab.
7. Close the chip clamp by pushing the lever down.
8. Connect the iMETOS® MobiLab to electricity and USB for data processing.
9. Now remove the falcon tube from the shaker and leave it to sediment for 20 min.
10. Transfer supernatant and internal standard into an Eppendorf and from there into the iMETOS® MobiLab analysis slot. Push play at the program button.
|Sample volume||50-100 μl|
|Measurement range||3-1000 ppm; 0.01-0.5 g/kg|
|Resolution||0.5 ppm; 1 mg/kg|
|Accuracy||For measurements of liquid concentrations (ppm): ±3 %
For measurements of soil concentrations (mg/kg): ±15 %
|Chip lifetime||Approximately 300-500 tests|
|Battery capacity||2 hours of measuring time|
- Laboratory precision analysis for NO3
- Results availability in minutes
- GPS-geo referencing of samples
- Multiple sample analysis on a single chip
- Results are stored on web platform for future use
- Possible integration with precision farming systems